Train4TradeSkills: Virtual Reality House
Innovative virtual reality training forms the key component of these practical courses. The Virtual Reality House lets trades trainees such as plumbers practice their skills in a ‘walled garden’ setting, allowing them to make mistakes safely and learn from these in order to build confidence and competence before embarking on the workshop-based practical training element of their course.
Why we like it
- i3D engine built on the Unity 3D framework allows rapid development of interactive training scenarios.
- Builds on the premise that the more practice you have, the more confident you become.
- Modular and scalable – complexity of scenario can be altered for beginners and advanced learners.
- Cross-platform compatibility, including standard desktop Mac and Windows systems, all web browsers and all hand-held devices
- Flexible, non-linear instructional design and engineering – learners can create their own learning pathways.
- Virtual reality – all fixtures, fittings and tools – helps learners visualise real world setting.
- Practical application
- Step by step training process: planning, costing and installation.
- Scenario driven
- Walled garden simulation environment – learners can test solutions safely and go back and fix any faults
- Gaming style hand-held console/nunchuck is available which works wirelessly with the online system to improve the virtual experience.
How to improve this elearning
We weren’t able to test the environment, thus not able to comment on usability, so perhaps the only improvement we’d make is adding a few good-looking tradespeople avatars to really gamify the learning. Ooer!
Elearning Superstars rating
- Usability - 8/108/10
- Content - 8/108/10
- Learning - 9/109/10
- Creative - /10/10
- Overall - 8/108/10
Share your elearning: Have you created some inspiring elearning that you're really proud of? Showcase your elearning to win awards and get recognized.