University of South Wales: Mixing Paint
Takes learner through the basics of colour theory, colour schemes and mixing paints. An interactive resource for practitioners in arts education to support the ‘flipped classroom’ concept where homework is completed before practical classroom application.
Why we like it
- Nice use of motion paths for transitions (e.g. when you click the paint brushes to reveal in the summary screen).
- Some creative designs for standard interactions such as ‘click to reveal’ e.g. where you ‘squeeze’ a paint tube to learn more.
- Good use of graphics for question choices (instead of text).
- Good engagement factors, including attractive illustration, timelapse videos and interactive exercises.
- Good example of a resource which can be used before, during and after a face-to-face session to reinforce learning. Feedback from the teacher: “It had a massive impact on what I was able to cover within my lecture as the students came to the session with a sound understanding of colour mixing and were then able to apply their knowledge to practical tasks.”
- And from the students: “I loved that it was interactive because it reinforced my understanding.”
How to improve this elearning
We could see this working wonderfully as fully responsive HTML5 (currently you’ll need to download an app to view on iOS). Available under a creative commons licence to use for free, so what’s not to like?
Elearning Superstars rating
- Usability - 8/108/10
- Content - 8/108/10
- Learning - 8/108/10
- Creative - 9/109/10
- Overall - 8/108/10
Share your elearning: Have you created some inspiring elearning that you're really proud of? Showcase your elearning to win awards and get recognized.