The Royal Yachting Association: Short Range Certificate
The Royal Yachting Association needed an online alternative to their classroom training course that allowed users to obtain their Short Range Certificate (SRC). This certificate is a legal requirement when operating marine radio.
The course was created with Articulate Storyline, which enables routine amendments to be made following delivery. Storyline also allowed flexible access to course content through delivery on multi devices; PC, Mac and iPad, which increased the demographic reach of the course.
Six months since the launch of the course in early 2014, 19% of total students were choosing the online option over face to face learning.
This course won two Gold awards at the E-Learning Awards 2014, for Best use of Mobile Learning and Best E-Learning project in the UK private sector.
Why we like it
- An online alternative to classroom training leading to certification
- Multi devices; PC, Mac and iPad, which increased the demographic reach of the course
- A custom extension recreates a realistic radio simulator that can run offline on all platforms
- Learners can interact with a coastguard over the simulated radio through voice recording and playback of coastguard responses, followed by best practice comparison against correct model recordings
- Totara LMS integration
- The offline capability opens up many possibilities for course delivery. If learners complete sections offline, their progress is stored locally until they are next online, when their progress is synchronised with the Totara LMS
How to improve this elearning
Since the app is primarily for iPad, we’d love a little gamification where you could race little boats around a course by utilising the iPad’s calibration and gyroscope feature. Just for fun!
Elearning Superstars rating
- Usability - 9/109/10
- Content - 8/108/10
- Learning - 9/109/10
- Creative - 8/108/10
- Overall - 8.5/108.5/10
About Mind Click
Mind Click specialises in bespoke e-learning and Totara LMS, to provide a complete solution for corporate learning requirements. The company prides itself on its creativity and flexibility, and everything is tailored to an organisation’s individual needs. From compliance training to product knowledge and customer service training, Mind Click can meet any challenge and deliver quality solutions for your business.
With a wide range of clients from all sectors across the globe, Mind Click works to exceed the requirements set by customers and develop new ideas to deliver something truly exciting. Its diverse and talented team is based in Nottingham and Brighton (UK), and brings skills and experience from a wide variety of creative and technical backgrounds.
Share your elearning: Have you created some inspiring elearning that you're really proud of? Showcase your elearning to win awards and get recognized.