The Open University: Finding the Truth
With huge TV ratings for crime dramas and criminal fiction increasing in popularity, it seems we can’t get enough of the crime genre. The Open University wets our appetite further with a free learning resource, Finding the Truth (created with Elucidat).
Through three very different cases we get to step into the world of crime to find out more about forensic evidence, workplace accidents and sentencing through the UK criminal justice system. Each case relays a story, and asks us to judge the evidence – Is he guilty? Should she go to prison? Was it an accident? Our decisions are compared with those of experts before we’re told the final verdict. And at the end of each case we can see how our opinions compared with a public vote. Horatio Caine step aside!
Why we like it
- It’s a web-based responsive design.
- Uses a case study approach to present and compare evidence and events.
- Is interactive, immersive and thought-provoking.
- Uses animation and voice over to present the narrative and engage learners. We like how the resource starts with the ‘story’, and ends with the ‘truth’.
- Gives learners the power to make decisions (How reliable is the evidence? Who is to blame? Is prison the answer?) and compare their thoughts with those of experts.
- Uses polling in an extremely engaging way to compare your initial verdict with your final verdict and compare this with the public vote.
- The resource is followed up with real-life case studies, each one presented using an interactive timeline.
How to improve this elearning
This resource is a great example of effective polling. Polls can have a lot of influence on learning. When we see our opinions differ to our peers it can make us re-think our own views, and if they are in-line with the experts it can be extremely rewarding.
How could we improve this elearning? It uses a very strong case study model and as with all case studies (and TV crime drama!) the more you have the better.
Related: The Open University used Elucidat’s authoring platform to create this elearning. Contact Elucidat to learn how easy it can be to create high quality learning.
Elearning Superstars rating
- Usability - 9/109/10
- Content - 9/109/10
- Learning - 9/109/10
- Creative - 9/109/10
- Overall - 9/109/10
Share your elearning: Have you created some inspiring elearning that you're really proud of? Showcase your elearning to win awards and get recognized.