Lynda.com: Learning and training website built around video tutorials
A learning and training website built around video tutorials. Founded in 1995 as a web resource for Lynda Weinman’s students, it is now one of the largest educational and skills training repositories on the net, with over 250 online instructors.
Screenshots of Lynda.com
Why we like Lynda.com
- Extensive library
- Really good granular course design: each course consists of around 40 videos, grouped into ‘chapters’ with bite-sized segments of around 8 minutes. And every video is stand-alone so it can be taken as an individual course without the rest of the module.
- Content is organised in learner pathways as ‘playlists’, collections of courses curated by Lynda.com. Anyone can create and share playlists, so learners can create their own pathways.
- The catalogue provides a selection of free videos in each course so you can browse before purchasing.
- Subscription based, giving a choice of price and access
- Multi media multi channel – including digital materials from publishers such as Wiley, and interactive PDFs that can be downloaded and used in exercises as learners work with the videos.
- Basic membership includes unlimited access to the entire library
- Premium members can download course to phone and tablet devices for offline use.
- Dynamic transcripts flow alongside videos.
- Users can make notes below the videos which helps transform the entire UI into a work space.
How to improve this elearning
There’s no community at lynda.com like there are at other training sites (Treehouse, Codecademy). So users don’t have social forums to ask and answer questions and share experience. We think instruction needs some interactive elements such as challenges or quizzes to help learners practise skills and knowledge. There’s a distinct absence of these in Lynda.com. The value that comes with premium membership – ability to download course material – is a necessity for some courses, so it’s hard to see the value in the other pricing options for a lot of the library.
Elearning Superstars rating
- Usability - 8/108/10
- Content - 7/107/10
- Learning - 9/109/10
- Creative - 9/109/10
- Overall - 8/108/10
Share your elearning: Have you created some inspiring elearning that you're really proud of? Showcase your elearning to win awards and get recognized.