Learning Heroes: Unconscious Bias
Me, biased, never? I’m not a monster! But what if it’s all part of being human – that biases are all lurking inside our brains and have sneaky ways of influencing the decisions we make at work?
Unconscious Bias is a short, bite-sized, animated, off-the-shelf elearning module, that gets us thinking and encourages us to “consciously stop, dig deep and go hunting” for our own biases.
Why we like it
- Animated videos that get the message of unconscious bias across in an engaging way.
- Engaging and effective use of color, illustration and typography that helps visualize concepts.
- A lively, character-rich voice-over, that’s upbeat and engaging (I can’t help thinking it’s Nick Knowles – this is unconfirmed of course).
- A subtle use of sound effects.
- Uses rich content to convey key messages e.g. research examples, statistics, and perception exercises.
- An uncluttered interface helps focus attention on the content.
- Uses a humorous tone that doesn’t overshadow the subject matter.
How to improve this elearning
- Currently built in Flash. Creating something similar in HTML5 would mean it could be responsive across different platforms and devices.
- Including a few more activities that let learners process the information would enhance learner interest and retention.
- We like the simplicity of this module, but we would probably still add a bit more to the GUI, e.g. a progress indicator and navigation to revisit earlier scenes and allow learners to drive the learning.
Elearning Superstars rating
- Usability - 7/107/10
- Content - 9/109/10
- Learning - 7/107/10
- Creative - 9/109/10
- Overall - 8/108/10
Share your elearning: Have you created some inspiring elearning that you're really proud of? Showcase your elearning to win awards and get recognized.