Duolingo: reinventing language learning on an epic scale
Elearning on a truly epic scale: used by more than 70 million users it aims to feel more like a game than a language class.
Why we like it
- You can set yourself daily goals to achieve.
- Content is delivered inshort learning chunks.
- Clear roadmap and progress markers for your learning path.
- Integrated support feature.
- Timed practices.
- Progress quizzes.
- Placement tests to put you start you at the right level.
- Discussion streams linked to the language you are learning.
- Spaced repetition – neat use of algorithms to determine when you should practice words to get them into your long-term memory.
- Gamified design unpins the whole experience, with key gamification features:
- Currency (lingot) which you can earn through a variety of activities
- points, leaderboards, and currency rewards.
- At the end of each successfully completed round, a trumpet fanfare and a sense of accomplishment
- each stage becomes live when you complete the level before.
- Invite friends through FB and collaborate or compete
- Users can vote on the best translation submitted by other users .
How to improve this eLearning
Duolingo has the app route, we of course would design an entirely responsive web based tool that looks great on any device. Duolingo is essentially a tool based on the instructional principle of language drilling. We know there’s a lot more to learning a second language and we’d deploy a constructivist pedagogy to build learning materials which would complement the drills.
Elearning Superstars rating
- Usability - 9/109/10
- Content - 8/108/10
- Learning - 9/109/10
- Overall - 8.5/108.5/10
Share your elearning: Have you created some inspiring elearning that you're really proud of? Showcase your elearning to win awards and get recognized.